Direct: (919) 780-5437
Max focuses his practice on a wide range of commercial real estate-related transactions, including the development, redevelopment, acquisition, financing, leasing and disposition of various types of projects and asset classes, including industrial, multifamily, mixed-use, retail, office, senior living, and single-family residential. Max represents developers, real estate investment firms, private equity funds, commercial banks, and other institutional investors in the aforementioned ventures.
Before joining Longleaf Law Partners, Max honed his legal skill set in the Raleigh office of a large international law firm. While at Carolina Law, Max served as an intern for the Honorable Timothy C. Batten, Sr., of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, as well as for Senator Thom Tillis and the United States Senate Judiciary Committee. Max also served as a student attorney in the Community Development Law Clinic during law school and counseled clients in the formation of non-profit corporations and qualification of 501(c)(3) status.
Max has been ranked as a top real estate attorney in North Carolina in Super Lawyers – North Carolina Rising Stars and was named a “Young Gun” by the North Carolina Legal Elite.
When not closing deals, Max enjoys spending time with his wife, young sons, and their golden retriever, Fitzgerald, as well as playing golf, cooking, and attending concerts.
Real Estate Acquisitions & Dispositions
Real Estate Leasing
Real Estate Finance & Capital Markets
Real Estate Investment & Development
ULI Triangle, Member
Church on Morgan, Member
J.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law (with honors; North Carolina Banking Institute Journal, Publication Editor)
B.S., North Carolina State University (magna cum laude)
- Represented buyer in the acquisition and financing of $120MM apartment complex and related joint venture
- Represented developer in acquisition, development, and construction financing of $85MM mixed-use project
- Represented developer in acquisition, development, joint venture negotiations, and construction financing of $85MM SFR project
- Represented senior living developer in acquisition and financing of $220MM project
- Represented industrial developer the negotiation of joint venture, and related development of $50MM multiphase project, including construction financing
- Represented developer in acquisition of units and bridge financing for $45MM SFR project
- Represented industrial landlord and developer in negotiation of lease agreement for $30MM build-to-suit project
- Represented real estate fund and developer in acquisition and redevelopment of iconic Chattanooga Choo Choo and related properties in Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Routinely represents landlords and tenants in leasing matters, including industrial, office, life sciences, build-to-suit, and retail contexts