Direct: (919) 645-4314
Cindy focuses her practice on bankruptcy and financial services litigation – representing asset purchasers, trustees, lessors, contract counterparties and creditors in all aspects of bankruptcy cases. She also represents lenders in out-of-court restructurings and workouts and prosecutes and defends complex financial services cases. She frequently serves as special counsel to Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy trustees.
Cindy has been a North Carolina Board Certified Specialist in Business and Consumer Bankruptcy Law since 1993. She has represented creditors, debtors, lessors, trustees, committees and homeowners’ associations in business and consumer bankruptcy cases and, therefore, has a broad understanding of the many facets of bankruptcy law. She draws on her years of experience as a bankruptcy practitioner to provide valuable and practicable legal guidance to her clients.
Cindy also represents buyers and sellers in complex commercial real estate transactions. Her representation of clients in real estate acquisitions at the front end, coupled with her representation of creditors at the back end in bankruptcy, give her a unique perspective of the complete economic cycle, which she puts to practice when drafting legal documents. Cindy is cost conscious and mindful of her client’s financial and risk exposure.
Prior to joining Longleaf Law Partners (formerly MREW), Cindy began her legal career at Smith, Debnam, Hibbert & Pahl, followed by Womble Carlyle, Oliver & Oliver, PLLC and MREW.
Mother to four wonderful children, in her spare time Cindy enjoys playing golf, attending her favorite boot camp classes, and quilting, regularly entering her works in the N.C. State Fair.
Commercial Real Estate
Real Estate Workouts
U.S. District Court – Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
NC Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section Member
Quality of Life Committee: 1993 – 1995
Bankruptcy Council of the Bankruptcy Section: 1992 – 1995; 2018 –
Wake County Bar Association
Tenth Judicial District Bar
Grievance Committee: 2010 – 2013
Wake County Real Property Lawyers Association
- Counsel for seller of large land assemblage for development of master planned community involving multiple tracts, multiple owners and multiple underlying contracts.
- Prepared declaration of covenants and organizational documents for home owners associations for residential developers
- Counsel to retail landlords in connection with lease preparation and lease litigation.
- Special counsel to bankruptcy trustee in a near $1M recovery to bankruptcy estate from settlement of fraudulent conveyance claims against debtor in a Chapter 7 case initially designated a “no-asset” case.
- Special counsel to bankruptcy trustee in a $3.125M settlement in favor of the bankruptcy estate, arising out of a dispute of ownership of an NDA between pharmaceutical companies in a Chapter 7 case initially designated a “no-asset” case.
- Special counsel to bankruptcy trustee in recovery of approximately $300,000 from liquidation of assets held by individual bankrupt debtor’s numerous single-member limited liability companies, in a Chapter 7 case initially designated a “no-asset” case.
- Special counsel to bankruptcy trustee in recovery of $4,675,000.00 for the bankruptcy estate from sale of assets, exceeding the stalking horse bid, in a Chapter 7 case initially designated a “no-asset” case.
- Special counsel to Chapter 11 bankruptcy trustee in recovery of $50,000.00 in settlement of an insider preferential transfer.
- Committee counsel to time share owners in Chapter 11 case in which the time share units were demolished.
- Counsel to regional lenders in numerous Chapter 11 cases.
NC State Bar Certified Bankruptcy Law Specialist in Business and Consumer Bankruptcy – since 1993
Business North Carolina’s Legal Elite in Bankruptcy (2018)
Wake Forest University, J.D.
Emory University, B.A.